10 Days / 9 Nights
San Jose – Poas Volcano – La Paz Waterfall Gardens – Arenal Volcano – Canyoning Tour – Arenal Volcano Hike Tour & Tabacon Hot Springs – Jeep boat Jeep Arenal to Monteverde – Sky Trek & Tram Tour ( Canopy Experience) – Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve – Don Juan Coffee Tour –Tambor Beach – San Jose
- Day 1: you are greeted outside of the San Jose airport and helped with your bags for the comfortable and short drive to your hotel in San Jose downtown. There we will give you all the necessary documentations and instructions for your trip. Then a short drive to your hotel in the area of San Jose, where you are welcome to unpack, unwind and settle in for your first night in our tropical paradise.
Situated on a shady street just off Paseo Colón, San José’s main thoroughfare, Hotel Grano de Oro is a true oasis, a sanctuary in the heart of a bustling city. Converted from a Tropical Victorian mansion, the hotel maintains the warmth and comfort of a private home. The hotel’s charming atrium terrace and corridors have sparkling fountains and lush tropical plantings, and rooftop deck offers soothing Jacuzzis and a spot for secluded sunbathing. The restaurant at the Grano de Oro is one of San José’s finest, serving continental cuisine in a warm and intimate atmosphere. The gardens at Grano de Oro are both inside and out. A rooftop terrace offers relaxing Jacuzzis and a spot for secluded sunbathing and stargazing.
- Day 2: after breakfast you will start exploring the country. You will be picked up and driven in between coffee plantations to reach Poas Volcano National Park. After getting there, you will walk through this magnificent Tropical Cloud Forest to reach the edge of the Biggest Geyser Type Crater in the World and its gorgeous view. You will keep going and enter the Central Volcanic Mountain range driving north. You will visit La Paz Waterfall Gardens which is absolutely spectacular! You will be able to visit their World’s largest butterfly observatory, the Hummingbird Garden, the Orchid Gardens, with perfectly designed safe trails along the La Paz River with 5 of the largest and most beautiful waterfalls in the rain forest. After all these activities, we will pause for a delicious typical lunch and then we will head northwest for a 2 hour drive to the Arenal Volcano area where you will spend the night.
The Arenal Springs Hotel offers the perfect combination between relaxation, comfort, and exuberant tropical scenery, as well as the best view of the Arenal Volcano from any vantage point on the premises. The Hotel features colonial style rooms, with all the amenities that one can expect from a 60-room mountain retreat, (6 rooms are especially designed for the handicapped). Each room can accommodate up to five people, and they feature their own terrace, king or queen size beds, air conditioning, cable TV, ceiling fan, refrigerator, telephone, security box, private bathroom, hair dryer, and lush tropical gardens. At their restaurant, they offer an exquisite variety of National and International dishes in a completely natural ambiance and welcoming atmosphere. While at their restaurant, you may also enjoy a magnificent view of the Arenal Volcano. The hotel features swimming pools with natural hot springs at temperature ranges between 37 and 40 ° C (99 to 104 ° F and PH 6.70) surrounding by beautiful gardens with an amazing view to the majestic Arenal volcano.
Arenal Volcano is by far the most active volcano in Costa Rica and as well one of the most active in the world with daily eruptions. This makes the area of Arenal and La Fortuna a fascinating tourist destination that attracts foreigners as well as the residents of Costa Rica.
- Day 3: your day will begin with a delicious breakfast in view of the Arenal Volcano. Then your trip begins with a 30 minute 4×4 drive into a tropical Rainforest outside the town of La Fortuna, in the Arenal Volcano. You will see many different indigenous plants and animals along the way. You then trek through the forest on magical trails that lead to some of the most spectacular waterfalls in Costa Rica, a place very few people get to experience. Along the way you will have the chance to see monkeys, toucans, sloths, parrots and discover the secrets that lie hidden deep in the canyon. When you arrive at the waterfall, you will rappel from the top down into the beautiful pristine canyon below. After trekking through the canyon you will rappel down more waterfalls that will take you to the tranquil pools where do some bird watching, or just relax in this unspoiled paradise. At the end of the tour you will enjoy lunch and you will be dropped back at your hotel.
Then around 3:15 p.m., you will be picked up to enjoy the most extraordinary view of the Arenal Volcano on a gentle Hike along the base of this marvelous “Mountain of Fire”. The Hike begins on the active side of the volcano, and takes you through the forest over recent lava flows and to the destroyed area now in the process of regeneration. This is a 1½ hour trail and gets as close as five hundred meters from the lava flow. After this exciting tour you will be dropped at Tabacon Resort and Hot Springs where you will experience one of the world’s most amazing offerings. Here you will relax in Mother Nature’s enormous hot tub. The hot springs are fed by an underground river heated naturally by the Arenal Volcano to the perfect temperature of 101 degrees. Our previous guests refer to this as their personal visit to the “Fountain of Youth.” After a great buffet dinner, you will be driven back to your hotel for your wonderful night of rest.
The Tabacon Hot Springs perfectly combine mineral content, volume and temperature. While there are many hot springs destinations around the world, few offer this special balance set in a splendorous natural paradise. Near the base of the active Arenal Volcano on the north side of Costa Rica, world renowned Tabacon Resort provides you a relaxing and unparalleled experience with its natural hot springs and thermo mineral water pools, its tropical and exuberant surroundings and its famous Iskandria Spa. This extraordinary setting, combined with exceptional service, warm smiles and outstanding facilities, assures their guests an unforgettable time in Costa Rica.
- Day 4: enjoy another great, healthy breakfast and following it you will be driven to Arenal Lake where you will board a boat that will take you across the lake for an amazing trip to Monteverde. At the other side of the lake, a vehicle will be waiting to transfer you to Monteverde and your hotel.
Check into your hotel and if you wish, you’ll grab a quick snack and then it’s off to zip through the Rain Forest, high above the ground, on giant cables flying from tree to tree just like the Toucans do on a Canopy Tour. The Sky Trek is a system of zip lines attached to steel structures and with professional climbing equipment you will slide from one platform to another “flying” over the cloud forest of Monteverde. This will be an experience you’ll never forget! You then will be driven back to the resort for some free time. Watch TV or just take in the view and relax with the sunset overlooking the Nicoya Gulf. You can also explore the gastronomy of this little town.
El Establo is situated in the heart of the tourist zone of Monteverde 7 kms from the Santa Elena Rain Forest and 4 kms from the Monteverde Cloud Forest. Quaker friendship awaits you at this hotel, set in a private 150-acre farm (50% protected primary forest) adjacent to the Monteverde Reserve.
The hotel features 155 Rooms, Tennis, basketball and soccer courts, 2 indoor tempered swimming pools, 2 bars, Gym, Spa, Conference Center and 2 Restaurants.
- Day 5: you will enjoy another wonderful breakfast and off you go again. We’ve hired a professional Naturalist Guide to escort you through an incredible part of the Monteverde Cloud Forest. This tour is an easy, guided hike where you will receive information about the interesting things that are there for you to witness up close and personal. After this tour you will dropped off at your hotel.
Then after lunch, you will be picked up to enjoy a 2 hour Coffee tour. You will enjoy an excellent cup of coffee and its history, part of Costa Rican’s culture, as you will receive an explanation of the whole process of how the coffee follows from the plant to the cup. You will see coffee germination beds, coffee plantations, de-pulping machines, sun dryers, pealing machines, roaster and packing and also a comfortable coffee bar. So this is the perfect place to taste one of the best coffees in the world. You will also be able to visit their souvenir shop. Then you will be taken back to your resort for a wonderful night of rest.
- Day 6: again, early in the morning you will be picked up by your private transportation to start a wonderful trip, which should take about 5 hours, through the countryside. The scenic drive will take you to the Central Pacific Coast to reach Puntarenas area. Then you will take the ferry (included) from Puntarenas to Paquera, in this relaxing top of one hour and fifteen minutes you can see the Gulf Islands, birds, dolphins, etc. Once at the other side, Tango Mar is only a short forty minutes drive on a paved road, through mountains, forests, charming towns and panoramic ocean views. Then your car rental will be delivered at your hotel.
The well-hidden secret of Tango Mar is located on the beautiful, deserted Quizales beach at the Nicoya Peninsula on Costa Rica’s Pacific Coast. Tango Mar is a 150-acre (60Ha) exclusive private beachfront reserve with ample of added attractions. The blend of fine accommodations with exuberant jungle vegetation, exotic birds and wildlife makes Tango Mar the ideal hideaway for anyone who wants to enjoy refinement in a natural setting. With only 35 rooms, the philosophy of Tango Mar is to provide a personal, friendly, relaxed and attentive service. Staff is carefully selected and groomed to anticipate the needs of our guests and will do whatever possible to guarantee an unforgettable stay.
Tango Mar offers three different types of lodgings; oceanfront rooms that mainly cater to families, tropical suites for couples and Tiki suites for the most demanding. All rooms have been recently renovated, have a private bath and are equipped with a/c, phone, satellite TV, a safety deposit box, a well-stocked minibar and complementary coffee.
- Day 7 & Day 8: those will be open days to enjoy the beach in a tropical paradise. Relax as much as you like at Tango Mar Resort, or if you prefer, take one or several of our adventure tours. See nature close up – wildlife, waterfalls, nearby islands and Private and National Parks. Spend a half day snorkeling at beautiful Tortuga Island, or hike through the wild jungles of Curu Nature Reserve or Cabo Blanco National Park. Visit nearby towns with guides in comfortable, air conditioned transportation. Then, return home to relax, or maybe go to nearby Montezuma for a night on the town. Your vacation can be exactly what you want it to be at Tango Mar! , just let us know if you want to add any activity and we will gladly make the arrangements for you.
- Day 9: today you will drive back to San Jose for your last night in Costa Rica. This trip can last about 5-6 hours because it includes a stop in Puntarenas where you must take a ferry (not included) in order to cross the beautiful Gulf of Nicoya (The ferry schedule is every 2 hours in High Season). In San Jose explore the wonderful gastronomy that the city offers and your last night in our tropical paradise. In order to reduce the driving time, you could return your can rental in Mal Pais and take a domestic flight to San Jose that last 25 minutes. Total time 1 hour (not included)
You will check back into Hotel Grano de Oro, which is where you stayed the first night. Their service is paramount and the perpetually smiling staff welcomes guests home time and again.
- Day 10: today you will drive back to the airport at the appropriate time to return your rental car and catch your flight back home (approximate time 3 hours prior to your flight). It’s time to say goodbye to the new friends you have made in Costa Rica.
High Season 2011: US $ 1,650 per person based on double occupancy. Single supplement US $ 1,135 Valid from January, 2011 thru April, 2011 and from July, 2011 thru August, 2011
Green Season 2011: US $ 1,595 per person based on double occupancy. Single supplement US $1,100 Valid from May, 2011 thru June, 2011 and from September, 2011 thru October, 2011
- Price does not apply to New Year’s or Easter week and it is subject to availability of hotels and tours.
- Depending on the hotels, July and August are considered High Season
- 2 nights of lodging at Grano de Oro Hotel (4 stars) in a Double Standard room.
- 2 nights of lodging at Arenal Springs Hotel (4 stars) in a Double Jr. Suite room.
- 2 nights of lodging at El Establo Hotel (4 stars) in a Double Deluxe room.
- 3 nights of lodging at Tango Mar Hotel (4 stars) in 1 Double Tropical Suite or Standard room.
- Private transportation from Grano de Oro Hotel to Poas Volcano, La Paz Waterfall Gardens and Arenal Springs Hotel in an A/C van with a bilingual driver.
- Poas Volcano National Park, including entrance fee and guide.
- La Paz Waterfall Gardens, including entrance fee and lunch.
- Canyoning Tour, including transportation, equipment, lunch and specialist guides.
- Arenal Volcano Hike & Tabacon Hot Springs including transportation, entrance fee, dinner and guide.
- Jeep Boat Jeep Arenal to Monteverde.
- Sky Trek & Tram Tour including transportation, equipment, entrance fee and specialist guide.
- Monteverde Cloud Forest Preserve Hike including transportation, entrance fee, slide show and specialist guide.
- Don Juan Coffee Tour including transportation, entrance fee and guide.
- Private transportation from El Establo Hotel to Tango Mar Hotel in an A/C van with semi-bilingual driver.
- 4 days Toyota Rav4 rental (Plus), for one driver, manual transmission (automatic transmission available for extra cost), or similar including unlimited mileage and SLI insurance ($ 750 deposit apply additional insurance recommended but not mandatory).
- Detailed route map and directions to get the different destinations by your own.
- Meals as described above (9 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 1 Dinner)
- Meet and greet at the airport at your arrival with VIP Service inside the terminal.
- Transfer from the airport at your arrival.
- 24 hour travel assistance.
- Airfare & Airport tax at your departure US $ 26 (cash only).
- Fuel and other car expenses.
- Ferry fee around $10 (cash only).
- Meals and other services not mentioned above.
- Gratuities for guides and providers based on quality of service.
YOU MUST HAVE A VALID PASSPORT TO ENTER COSTA RICA
Costa Rica is a democracy, has no standing army, and is arguably the most environmentally friendly country in Latin America. Come to Costa Rica for the natural beauty….stay for the adventure!