8 Days / 7 Nights
7 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 4 Dinners
- Day 1 Arrival – San Jose: you will be greeted outside of the San Jose airport by our bilingual representative for the comfortable and short drive to your hotel. There we will give you all the necessary documents for your trip. Then you have a chance to unpack, unwind and settle in for your first night in our tropical paradise. Meals are on your own.
Overnight in San Jose Downtown: at the Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown is conveniently located in the heart of the city, only 15 km from Juan Santamaria International Airport. It is a short distance away from casinos, night clubs, bars, restaurants, The National Theatre, Museum of Jade, Museum of Oro and parks that are part of the national heritage, among many other tourist attractions.
- Day 2 San Jose – Tortuguero Canals: early in the morning, you will be picked up at your hotel for your trip to reach Caño Blanco deck driving by banana plantations and the Rain Forest. At Caño Blanco, you will board the covered boat to the lodge, passing the Tortuguero canals arriving between 12:30 p.m. an 1:00 p.m. Your rooms will be assigned and the guide will explain the afternoon activities. After lunch you’ll visit the Turtle Museum of the C.C.C. (Caribbean Conservation Corporation entrance fee not included) and the colorful Tortuguero town. You will return to the lodge around 5:30 p.m. with free time to enjoy the pool, the bar service and prepare for your dinner. The dinner service will be from 7:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and the rest of the night is free.
Overnight at Tortuguero: Laguna Tortuguero Lodge is a rain forest ecotourism lodge, a leader among this tropical country’s hotels and resorts with an extra touch in style, comfort and personalized service. This Region is the most important nesting site in the entire western half of the Caribbean for the green sea turtle. The season starts around mid July.
- Day 3 Tortuguero Canals: this morning you will go on a tour to admire the awakening of the wildlife of Tortuguero. Return for breakfast. Then you will take another boat tour to admire the canals of Tortuguero National Park. This is a wonderful and interesting experience where you can see abundant flora and fauna of Tortuguero National Park (entrance fee not included). Return to the lodge for lunch and free time. Then you have another optional tour to the canals or stay at the lodge. Dinner will be at the lodge and a free night will follow.
- Day 4 Tortuguero – Sarapiqui: breakfast will be served between 7:30 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. After breakfast you will begin your trip back to Caño Blanco dock, and from there, to your lunch site. At this point you will be picked by private transportation and you will continue to Sarapiqui.
Overnight at Selva Verde Lodge: Selva Verde is more than a lodge and more than a rainforest reserve. It is your gateway into a magical world of towering Almendro trees, Mantled Howler Monkeys, and Keel Billed Toucans. Immerse yourself in tropical nature as you hike through deep green forest or reflect quietly in a comfortable hammock. Discover something new as you encounter Selva Verde’s amazing wildlife and vibrant people.
- Day 5 Sarapiqui – La Selva Biological Station – Arenal: after breakfast you will be driven to La Selva Biological Station. It is located in the Caribbean foothills of Costa Rica and comprises of 1,614 hectares (3,988 acres) of old growth and disturbed tropical wet forest. The diversity is spectacular, including more than 1,850 species of plants, 350 species of trees, 448 species of birds, and approximately 500 species of ants. With its laboratories, on-line Geographic Information System (GIS), Meteorological data, Herbarium, Digital Flora Data Base, extensive trails and large forest reserve bordering the Braulio Carrillo National Park, La Selva is one of the world’s most important sites for tropical ecosystem research. The 3½ hour walk thru the Biological Station is lead by bilingual Nature Interpreters and there are great changes to observe wildlife in their Natural environment. Then you will continue your way to Arenal area and could stop for lunch (not included) some place along the way. At your arrival check in, walk through the property and get ready to relax and enjoy the volcano view.
Overnight at Arenal: the Arenal Springs Hotel offers the perfect combination between relaxation, comfort, and exuberant tropical scenery, as well as the best view of the Arenal Volcano from any vantage point on the premises. The hotel features colonial style rooms, with all the amenities that one can expect from a 60-room mountain retreat, (6 rooms are especially designed for the handicapped). The hotel’s restaurant also provides a magnificent view of the Arenal Volcano.
- Day 6 Arenal Hanging Bridges – Tabacon Hot Springs: after breakfast you will be driven to the nearby complex of the Hanging Bridges of Arenal for a guided walk in the rain forest. Covering an area of approximately 250 hectares (550 acres) of primary forest, the property has an impressive view of Arenal Volcano, as well as the huge Arenal Reservoir, which feeds the largest hydroelectric plant in Costa Rica. The trails, covering a distance of about 3.1 kilometers, are right inside the forest. As you walk, you be able to appreciate the great diversity of flowers and wildlife that are typical of the rain forest. Given the roughness of the terrain, the trails are joined by the eight fixed bridges and six hanging bridges. At the end you will have arrived back at your hotel. Then after lunch, you will be taken to Tabacon Resort and Hot Springs where you will experience one of the world’s most amazing offerings: hot springs that are fed by an underground river heated naturally by the Arenal Volcano to the perfect temperature of 101 degrees. After a great buffet dinner, you will be driven back to your hotel for a wonderful night of rest.
- Day 7 Butterfly Garden at Danaus Eco Center – San Jose: after breakfast, you will be driven to Danaus Eco Center. It is a Biological Reserve that develops conservation programs, training environmental education, sustainable use of the land and production. One of the main attractions of the place is the butterfly farm, with a special site for the display of larvae, pupae and eggs. Danaus Eco Center reproduced about 30 different species of butterflies. It’s a special place to observe birds, especially waterfowl, alligators, iguanas and basilisks. Then back to the hotel to check out. A shuttle transfer will take you back to San Jose for your last night in paradise.
Overnight at San Jose: Hotel Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown, which is the same hotel you stayed at the first and night, features 86 rooms, all of which are decorated in an elegant, comfortable and contemporary style.
- Day 8 Departure: today, you will be picked up and driven back to the airport at the appropriate time to catch your flight back home. It’s time to say goodbye to the new friends you have made in Costa Rica.
High Season 2011: US $ 1,350 per person based on double occupancy. Single supplement US $ 355
Valid from November, 2010 thru April, 2011 and from July, 2011 thru August, 2011.
Green Season 2011: US $ 1,235 per person based on double occupancy. Single supplement US $ 310
Valid from May, 2011 thru June, 2011 and from September, 2011 thru October, 2011
Cost does not apply to New Year’s or Easter week and it is subject to availability of hotels and tours.
- 2 nights of lodging at Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown Hotel (4 stars) in a Standard room.
- 2 nights of lodging at Hotel Laguna Lodge (3 stars) in a Standard room.
- 1 night of lodging at Selva Verde Lodge (3 stars) in River Lodge room.
- 2 nights of lodging at Arenal Springs Hotel (4 stars) in a Jr. Suite room.
- Tortuguero Canals Tour, including land and fluvial transportation, tours and naturalist guide (25 pounds of luggage per person allowed).
- Private transportation from Caño Negro dock to Selva Verde Lodge in an A/C van with a bilingual driver/guide.
- La Selva Biological Station Naturalist Walk, including entrance fee and naturalist guide.
- Private transportation from Selva Verde Lodge to La Selva Biological Station & Arenal Springs Hotel in an A/C van with a bilingual driver/guide.
- Arenal Hanging Bridges including transportation, entrance fee and specialist guides.
- Tabacon Hot Springs including transportation, entrance fee, and dinner. (Shift from 1 pm thru 10 pm)
- Butterfly Garden at Danaus Eco Center including transportation, entrance fee, and guide.
- Shuttle bus from Arenal Springs Hotel to Sleep Inn San Jose Downtown Hotel (one regular suitcase and one carry on allowed per person).
- Meals as described above (7 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 4 Dinners).
- Meet and greet at San Jose airport with VIP service inside the terminal.
- All airport transfers.
- 24 hour travel assistance.
- Airfare and Airport tax at your departure US $ 26 per person (cash only).
- Tortuguero National Park entrance fee US $ 10 per person (cash only).
- Caribbean Conservation Corporation (CCC) Turtle Museum entrance fee US $2 per person.
- Turtle Nesting Tour US $30 per person, only available at the Lodge.
- Meals and other services not mentioned above.
- Gratuities for guides and providers based on quality of service.