- Passport (It must be valid for 6 months from your travel date)
- Sunscreen, hat, backpack/fanny pack, bug spray, rain poncho/light jacket/windbreaker, camera/batteries/film, hiking boots/tennis shoes, flashlight.
Costa Rican money is called colon (colones plural). The exchange rate is about 520 to $1. Because 60% of the 2 million visitors every year are from the U.S. and Canada, you will not need to exchange large amounts of money as virtually every location in the country accepts US dollars.
COSTA RICA IS KNOWN FOR
Rain forests, cloud forests, active volcanoes, waterfalls, spectacular views, temperate weather and warm, friendly people.
BE SURE TO TRY
Costa Rican coffee, pineapple and other exotic fruits as well as plantains, beans and rice (which are served as traditional breakfast food).
- The dress in Costa Rica is very informal: khakis, jeans, shorts, short sleeve shirts, etc.
- There is a $26 airport tax per person when leaving the country. Be sure to have cash on hand (colones or dollars).
- The number 1 export from Costa Rica is Microchips
- Agriculture exports include pineapple, bananas, coffee and milk
- Costa Rica is the #1 country in the world with the highest forest area per capita
COSTA RICA HAS:
- 112 Volcanoes, 6 active (Arenal is the most active)
- 840 species of birds
- 140 species of snakes (most nonpoisonous)
- 100,000 species of plants (8% endemic)